To start the fun, my wifey (Beth) had a little party for the neighborhood kids to decorate cupcakes and paint little pumpkins. Addie was thrilled b/c it meant hanging with her BFF, Anabelle.
Next up was pumpkin carving. The past 3 years we have carved with several neighbors. It is very effective... order one batch of pizzas, make one mess (thank you Miller's for volunteering your driveway!) and the kids get to share their creative ideas. Kailee wanted a sun with a smiley face. Addie wanted a Tiger, which was way too complicated for me... I talked her into a "neigh neigh".
Mike had to work the night of the event, so I carved Kailee's and my sweet neighbor dads carved Addie's (I did draw it =))
See below for finished products.
The carving group and their pumpkins.
Finally, the big night. Our great neighbor Deedee had made dinner for all of us the last 2 years. This is a huge help, as all of you parents can imagine. Not having to cook leaves plenty of time to get the children into their costumes, faces painted, hair glittered, etc.
Our friend Rich and his daughter Isabella came to play and have a sleepover. Isabella was the white cat from the play Cats, Addie was a Tiger, and Kailee was Gabriella from High School Musical 3. I cheaped out and wouldn't buy her the $44.99 costume from Target and instead bought material, sparkles, etc. for $10 and made it myself.
Last but not least, one of the churches in town puts on a Fall Festival across the street from our neighborhood. They had paint ball guns for the kids to shoot. My kids were ALL OVER that! Oakie children. 

Of course, they were sugar highed by the time we got home and could barely contain themselves to shut their eyes and go to sleep. I guess in the end it was worth it and I'm sure we'll do it again for the next... oh... 10+ years. Man that's a lot of face paint to think about!
No comments:
Post a Comment