As I sit here planning what exactly I want to do on MY BIG DAY tomorrow... I think that I should take a minute and look at where I have been. My twenties. LOTS AND LOTS happened in my twenties... going to college, CONQUERING cancer, meeting the MAN of my dreams, graduating from college, getting the big corporate job, quitting the big corporate job because it was way out of my comfort zone, moving back to my beloved SLO town so I could marry that man, having 2 3/4 babies with that man, buying houses, selling houses (well one house), getting the job of my dreams only to realize that it really WASN'T my dream, growing through numerous trials, celebrating even more events and milestones along the way.
Here is what I learned:
1. Life is best enjoyed when you let go and let God. That was a harder lesson to learn and I don't believe I am done.
2. Family is where it is at. Immediate and extended. They will be there when you need them. NO matter what. Everything else is secondary.
3. I am happy with who I am. It may sound cocky, but pretty much, I love who I have become for these reasons:
a. I love my God. I am comfortable with my relationship with Him and am not scared to share my faith. When people ask how I get through certain challenges I love nothing more than to say one thing... GOD.
b. I love being a mom/wife. I do not feel the pull between being the cool friend that can go hang out at a moments notice vs. the desire to be the mom that is home all the time. I really could care less what anyone else is doing. I love being with my family. They are my joy. I love nothing more than being with them just relaxing at home, crafting, cooking and snuggling. No frill necessary.
c. I love my friends. I have amazing friends. Truly amazing. My twenties taught me that friends, true friends are not found in numbers on social networking sites. They are few and far between.
d. I love my image. This may sound weird... but in my earlier 20's it was all about looking good, a competition of who looked the greatest - body, clothes, hair, etc.. Now, I really don't care. Not to say I have given up on exercise/hygiene... quite the contrary. I crave exercise. I am constantly amazed at what I can get this "old" body to do. That is my focus now. What can I train for??? What can I get my body to do? Clothingwise, well, I like to dress up here and there, but most days, you will find me in my favorite sweats and no make up. That's how I roll.
All in all, I am grateful to my twenties for shaping me into the 30 year old woman I am going to be in a few minutes. I know my thirites will teach me even more and I can't wait!
Monday, March 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Happy birthday!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like your 30's are going to be pretty god too:)
Happy Birthday Kari! Enjoy your day, your family and being the 30 year old you!
ReplyDeletehappy birthday :)
ReplyDeleteLove this post! I'm right there with ya sista! Amanda Moore
ReplyDelete