I love my birthday. It's not that I'm selfish, but I love my birthday. It's an excuse to do, have, eat what you want (well, in between work and motherhood). Today was my birthday and it was perfect! Here are the details. Even if you didn't want to know them all.
It all started last night when I was giving the girls a bath. I asked them if they were going to wake up and come sing me Happy birthday… to which Kailee looks at me with a look of sheer terror on her face and asks, “Mommy! Who is going to put balloons at your chair at the table and at your bed???” (This is the tradition for birthdays in our house) I said, "Mommy doesn’t need balloons honey." To which she answers, "Well don’t we have some we can blow up?" Ummm… no we are out. BUT! "We did go to Trader Joe’s and you can hang that balloon up okay?" That puts that tragedy to rest. Then I am tucking her in and I read I wish I may, I wish I might… and I asked her what she wished for and she looks at me and says, “Mommy, I just wish that someone would come tomorrow and bring you lots of presents.” Completely serious. I said "Honey, all mommy needs is her girls and their hugs and kisses." To which she answers, "Well, it’s just that all of these people (not sure who she was referring to) know your birthday is tomorrow and they haven’t brought you any presents." To which I explain, "mommy doesn’t need presents, I am just grateful for my great friends and family." She didn’t buy it, but went to sleep anyway.
The not so fabulous night of sleep begins (we have been battling this evil cough/snot nose thing at our house for a good 2 weeks now) the first round of coughs began at 12:30 with Addie. Finally got her quieted down around 3:30am. At which time her sister starts at 4am. I give her medicine and wait for the miracle drug to kick in. nothing. Cough cough cough. Kailee in and out of my room, try the inhaler, vicks vaporub, humidifier (as I set up the humidifier in her room she looks at me and in between coughs and tears, says, “thank you birthday girl” steal my heart little one.) At that point, I got nothing else in my dr. mom artillery. I go to bed to lay and count the seconds between coughs to see if/when it’s getting better and I can allow myself to nod off or if I need to stay awake b/c I know duty is going to call. Then, the stupid smoke detector starts to beep. ARE YOU KIDDING ME UNIVERSE????? Really? I guess the humidifier set it off. Then kailee was paranoid of the humidifier and we will probably never be able to run it in her room again with her knowing. Anyway. At 5am we were all sleeping. Ugh.
8am happy birthday to me! Woohoo! My adorable husband left a singing telegram on my phone. (Sure his roomies got some sort of entertainment watching the filming of said telegram.) The girls stayed home with me (duh… can’t send them off to baby jail with coughs and nasty snot.) My BFF Beth called Kailee and told her to look on the porch… where she found a bag of balloons already blown up, party crowns and horns. She is freaking awesome. Kailee spent the rest of the morning setting up a party for me. She and Addie decorated “goodie bags” (paper grocery bags decorated w/marker). My mom called Kailee, they made stealth arrangements to have a very cool balloon bouquet sent to me later in the day. Voila! There are Kailee’s balloons. Compliments of Beth and YiaYia. You guys are awesome!
I got a very sweet card from my husband, with quite the love note inside, left in my car seat for me to find.
Beth orchestrated a small get together for me in the evening, with my cake of choice (choco brownie cake, Oreo truffle filing and chocolate frosting) Holly Toledo it was delicious with a glass of red wine and good friends!! She also brought pizza and a fancy salad for dinner for me and the girl. (Oh yes, after she watched them so I could go for a solo run w/o the “iron sled” aka the jogging stroller.)
And while the guest were arriving for our little soiree, Kailee diligently passed out more goodie bags for all of us to decorate. When she was finished she filled them w/ candy, birthday horns, crayons (from her own crayon box) and various other items.

It all started last night when I was giving the girls a bath. I asked them if they were going to wake up and come sing me Happy birthday… to which Kailee looks at me with a look of sheer terror on her face and asks, “Mommy! Who is going to put balloons at your chair at the table and at your bed???” (This is the tradition for birthdays in our house) I said, "Mommy doesn’t need balloons honey." To which she answers, "Well don’t we have some we can blow up?" Ummm… no we are out. BUT! "We did go to Trader Joe’s and you can hang that balloon up okay?" That puts that tragedy to rest. Then I am tucking her in and I read I wish I may, I wish I might… and I asked her what she wished for and she looks at me and says, “Mommy, I just wish that someone would come tomorrow and bring you lots of presents.” Completely serious. I said "Honey, all mommy needs is her girls and their hugs and kisses." To which she answers, "Well, it’s just that all of these people (not sure who she was referring to) know your birthday is tomorrow and they haven’t brought you any presents." To which I explain, "mommy doesn’t need presents, I am just grateful for my great friends and family." She didn’t buy it, but went to sleep anyway.
The not so fabulous night of sleep begins (we have been battling this evil cough/snot nose thing at our house for a good 2 weeks now) the first round of coughs began at 12:30 with Addie. Finally got her quieted down around 3:30am. At which time her sister starts at 4am. I give her medicine and wait for the miracle drug to kick in. nothing. Cough cough cough. Kailee in and out of my room, try the inhaler, vicks vaporub, humidifier (as I set up the humidifier in her room she looks at me and in between coughs and tears, says, “thank you birthday girl” steal my heart little one.) At that point, I got nothing else in my dr. mom artillery. I go to bed to lay and count the seconds between coughs to see if/when it’s getting better and I can allow myself to nod off or if I need to stay awake b/c I know duty is going to call. Then, the stupid smoke detector starts to beep. ARE YOU KIDDING ME UNIVERSE????? Really? I guess the humidifier set it off. Then kailee was paranoid of the humidifier and we will probably never be able to run it in her room again with her knowing. Anyway. At 5am we were all sleeping. Ugh.
8am happy birthday to me! Woohoo! My adorable husband left a singing telegram on my phone. (Sure his roomies got some sort of entertainment watching the filming of said telegram.) The girls stayed home with me (duh… can’t send them off to baby jail with coughs and nasty snot.) My BFF Beth called Kailee and told her to look on the porch… where she found a bag of balloons already blown up, party crowns and horns. She is freaking awesome. Kailee spent the rest of the morning setting up a party for me. She and Addie decorated “goodie bags” (paper grocery bags decorated w/marker). My mom called Kailee, they made stealth arrangements to have a very cool balloon bouquet sent to me later in the day. Voila! There are Kailee’s balloons. Compliments of Beth and YiaYia. You guys are awesome!
I got a very sweet card from my husband, with quite the love note inside, left in my car seat for me to find.
Beth orchestrated a small get together for me in the evening, with my cake of choice (choco brownie cake, Oreo truffle filing and chocolate frosting) Holly Toledo it was delicious with a glass of red wine and good friends!! She also brought pizza and a fancy salad for dinner for me and the girl. (Oh yes, after she watched them so I could go for a solo run w/o the “iron sled” aka the jogging stroller.)
And while the guest were arriving for our little soiree, Kailee diligently passed out more goodie bags for all of us to decorate. When she was finished she filled them w/ candy, birthday horns, crayons (from her own crayon box) and various other items.
So stinking adorable. I am so proud of my little hostess I could cry. Her heart is made of gold. The only thing on that little girls mind all day was making sure her momma had a nice birthday. And I did. I had a great birthday. I am so grateful for my amazing children, my sweet husband and my dear friends. Thank you all!
29 Candles!!! Wow! I praise the Lord for all of the blessings He has poured out to me each year. I can't wait to see what He has ahead for me and my family.
Thank you again to all of you who wished me a Happy Day!
you are quick with this blog posting thing!
ReplyDeletelast night was fun, thanks for sharing that yummy cake and Kailee did a GREAT job, I love my goodie bag!!!