Monday, February 23, 2009

My little Republican in the making

The girls and I were on our way to my office the other day and took the Los Osos Valley Road exit. Like most times you take that exit, there is a bum with a sign on the corner. Of course the light is red and we are sitting right next to Mr. Bum. Kailee is getting pretty curious about the folks and usually asks, "Mommy, what are they doing?" I say, "Asking for money." She says, "Why don't we give them any?" I say, "Because they will buy things that aren't good for them." (drugs and alcohol) She says, "Why don't they have money?" I say, "Because they are lazy and don't go get a job." I know, harsh, but really, can't they get a job SOMEWHERE?? And I do explain to her that we give food, money and clothes to other charitable organizations that give help to the homeless, etc. So I don't feel like I am disobeying God's command to take care of our brothers.

Anyway, I digress... back to the exit, stopped next to Mr. Bum. Instead of giving her the same old answer, I gave her more. She says, "What does his sign say?" I read it to her, "Anything will help". Her, "What does that mean?" Me, "They want money, food or clothes... anything" Her, "Why don't we give him something?" Me, "Because we are Republicans" Her, "What's that?" Me, "Do you think you are a Republican or a Democrat" (I know she has no clue what either is, but thought I would ask) Her, "Democrat" Me, "So you would rather work hard and make $100 but have the President (she understands who he is, not so much for government), take $25 to give to that guy so he doen't have to work, but can still buy food, clothes, etc." Her, "Yes mommy, we are supposed to help people" Hmm... that's true, but... Me, "So, pretend there was a great big room full of people and everybody else had to work hard away from their families (pull her heartstrings) to make money so we could pay taxes to the president to buy that room full of people clothes and food. Would you want to work hard for your $100 and keep it ALL or pay taxes so those people don't have to work, but still get food and clothes." Her, "I don't want to pay taxes." YUP. Me, "Then, you are a Republican."

Disclaimer:
Before you all write scathing comments about how I am raising her to not care about others... we do give to others, I just feel that some people should try harder to make ends meet before utilizing gov't help and maybe 5 is a good age to start understanding that. Not to mention, I have been known to give a bum a granola bar, or whatever food I might have stashed in my car when I am stopped on an exit next to one.

Conclusion:
Next time you see Kailee ask her if she is a Republican or a Democrat... her answer will be, "Republican" then ask her why. She'll say, "I don't want to pay taxes." =) Happy Momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment