Our dear family and friends,
I hate to post this before Christmas excitement pics/stories, but our little family needs prayer.
We went for our 18 week diagnostic ultrasound today expecting to find out for sure whether we were having a baby boy or girl. We also wanted to find out if my previous problem (a low placenta) had resolved itself. Well, our little munchkin is a boy and my placenta is right where it needs to be. However, the doctor found possible chromosomal defects (baby's measurements were not proportionate, umbilical cord had 2 arteries instead of 3, cartilage in nose was "short") and fluid around the babies heart and the heart wall was thick. The combo does not give a good prognosis. He doesn't expect the baby to make it full term. He recommended an amniocentesis to determine chromosomal issues, if any, and if there are, whether they are lethal or livable. If they are livable, he recommends we go to LA Children's Hospital to determine exactly what is wrong with the heart and why there is fluid around it. It is his experience that when there is fluid around the heart, it "doesn't bode well" and the chromosome issues (lethal or livable) don't matter because the heart issue is bigger. I had an amnio today and we go back in 2 weeks. At that time, we meet with the ultrasound dr. again and the genetic counselor.
Please pray that when we go back in 2 weeks, we get good news. Please pray for peace for our family. We trust that God has a plan either way and we trust that His plan will be shown.
We need a miracle and know that God knows best and definitely knows more than these doctors and their machines.
Monday, December 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kari,
ReplyDeleteI am soo soo sorry! I will be praying for you and your family. I know three people who were told their baby would have down syndrome and all three babies were born without it, and someone who was told their baby had fluid pockets in the brain and that also turned out fine... I guess I'm just trying to say that mistakes DO happen so try not to stress too much (yeah right). Anyways, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers!