Thursday, December 10, 2009

Proudest Momma EVER!

It all started with a note home saying that Kailee was receiving an award Thursday night at 7pm. I asked Kailee what she was getting an award for. She didn't know, she just knew her art had been entered in the "Reflections-Beauty is..." contest at school.

We got all gussied up and trudged to school in the cold rain to see what this award was. Either way I was proud as can be. Just the look of anticipation on her face... she couldn't wait to find out what award she was getting.

When we arrived, we toured the "Gallery" to check out the artwork. There were all different categories: Photography, Visual Arts, Literature, Music Composition. Her entries are below:

A pink fish with a rainbow fin.


A quilt fish she and I crafted (I actually didn't even know she had entered this until that night!)


And fall trees


She also entered a poem:

"Beauty is...
Rain falling to the ground and sunny sky
Trees when they swish back and forth
Ocean noise going up and back to the sand
Shiny rainbows
All beautiful flowers and flying butterflies
Chirping birds
Kids playing Duck, Duck, Goose
Spikey leaves
Cuddly cats, barking dogs and meowing cats
The shape of squares
Swimming fish and people walking down to the park
Horses eating hay and cows working, giving milk to people
All lights shining like stars
Looking at cloud pictures in the sky
Flying bugs and crawling animals

That's what beauty is to me."

I knew the second I read it that it was the best poem there.

The awards started and low and behold.... Kailee Hamilton: 1st PLACE in Literature!! AND Honorable Mention for 2 pieces of art!
AND, as if walking in front of a cafeteria filled with people wasn't nerve racking enough, Kailee was asked to read her poem aloud (with her teacher, Mrs. McKee).

Let's just say that I already knew she was amazingly talented but now the whole school does! She was so adorable about the whole thing. Just radiating sunshine. As I was kissing her goodnight, she said, "Mom, I'm just so proud of myself!" Kailee boo... you should be sweetie. You are a special little girl, your momma loves you and could not be prouder!!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh, so great! I'm a proud babysitter...who totally shed a tear just now, too. Haha.

    ReplyDelete