Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Finally!! An update

It’s finally time!! The moment you have all been waiting for! Blog update!

Yahoo!

It’s going to be a long, long, long one, so make sure you have a few minutes =)

I’ll just start at the beginning…

THE LABOR
Wednesday April 28, I had run errands, crossed a few things off the nesting list, went to church, came home and went to bed, just like normal, hadn’t had any weird contractions or anything. Woke up around 1:30 to pee, as usual, then went back to bed. I was dreaming that my friend Amanda’s little boy Benjamin (who is about 6 weeks old) was telling Joshua, “You get to come play!” and then I felt like I was peeing my bed. Luckily, I wasn’t in a deep sleep and jumped up and went to the bathroom where my water broke at 2:20 AM. New mattress avoided the unthinkable - THANK GOODNESS!!

I immediately called Mike (who was in Salinas) and told him he needed to get in the car NOW! Then called the midwives and told them to get to the hospital, called Beth (my driver) and Linda and George (the middle of the night babysitters). The plan hadn’t even been rehearsed, but still went off without a hitch. Within about 20 minutes, we (Beth and I) were en route to Sierra Vista.

By the time I was checked in, I still wasn’t having any exciting contractions, just teeny ones. I wasn’t progressing past about 3cm. I talked to my mom at 8 am, told her nothing much was happening, just waiting. The midwife came in, checked again, no progress, striped my membranes, and it was on…. The nurse came in a few minutes later and I said (ok, maybe yelled) I NEED TO PUSH!! YOU NEED TO CHECK ME AGAIN!!! She doubted anything had changed in the last 2 minutes, but obliged. Then said, “I’m going to go get my peeps.” 21 minutes, 15 contractions and 3 pushes later Joshua Michael came into this world.

The nurse told me later that the baby wasn’t even fully descended into the birth canal and I wasn’t even fully dilated when she got the other nurses. She just knew I wasn’t messing around. It was fast. Crazy fast. Like lightning. Beth told me later that she felt bad when I said I had to push because she thought, no way could I already be that far along in the labor process and felt bad for me that I thought I had to push when really it was probably just hurting so bad I thought I needed to push. Then when the baby just popped out she thought he was a pretend baby b/c no way could a baby come out that fast. Well, I told ya’ll it would be a fast labor.

THE BABY
Joshua Michael Hamilton
April 29, 2010 8:21 AM (4 weeks early)
6 lbs. 12 ozs. 19 ¾ inches

As you all know, this pregnancy has been quite the journey. According to the 1st big ultrasound, the docs didn’t even think he would live past 5 months gestation. Well he did and he is doing GREAT!

Once he was here, they let us see him for 5 minutes or so and then whisked him to the NICU for a full assessment and to monitor him. He has a few unique things that they were worried about. (More detail to follow)

Also, since he decided to kamikaze out at mach 3 speed, he hit a few speed bumps. He has 2 black eyes, his nose, mouth and chin were black and blue, he had bruising on his back and forearm and feet. Poor munchkin. He is totally healed up except the black eyes. He looks like a cage fighter.

THE PICTURES



No comments:

Post a Comment