Monday, July 12, 2010

Happy Fourth of July!

For those of you who do not know, I am in love with the 4th of July. It's right up there with Christmas and Fall, in that order. This year was definitly a lay low year. We had just gotten back from Salinas for Mike's surgery, new baby, etc. Bottom line, we just hung out as a fam all day long and then went to our great friends, the Shoemaker's, vineyard to watch fireworks.

I did manage to get our whole fam matching shirts... This is the only pic series we have in them. Let's just say, I saved them for the vineyard and the vineyard didn't exactly go as planned for pics.
This is why... We had been there not even long enough to completely unload and we had an injury. Addie was on the rope swing, asked to be pushed, a friend pushed her and she wasn't really ready and faceplanted. This is how she looked for a good portion of the evening.
We were pretty sure she had just sprained it because it never really got swollen, didn't bruise, she just favored it, but did go back out and play. Since it was the 4th, I didn't want to go to the emergency room and sit with a bunch of drunks so we opted to wait until the pediatrician opened Tuesday (we had to go for swimmer's ear anyway). As soon as the dr. looked at it she said, "Yep, it's broken. A buckle fracture". Happy summer Addie Ray. Poor baby! She hadn't even complained that much. Well, she did milk it a little.
Her best friend, Anabelle checked on her...
Even let her sit in her butterfly chair, and wear her jammies under her clothes when she was cold (I had brought her a change of clothes for the cold, but of course, Anabelle's were far superior.)
This is Beth and I trying to take a cute pic of ourselves... check out the hubbies in the background. Silly boys.
Kailee and Savannah snuggled in.
Tired baby after a busy evening...Here is where she milked it... the next day. For kicks we gave her a bell so we would know if she needed anything. We also put a tv in her room so she could watch movies. I figured if she would go for it that would be the best way to keep her resting her arm. Well, she went for it. Mike and I both wanted to break the bell when the day was done.
Tuesday morning we went to the pediatrician. As I said, she told us it was broken. Sad day. The good news is, we just went to the orthopedic dr. today (they wanted to wait until the swelling went down to put the real cast on) and we got a waterproof cast that she can swim in! He also said that her fracture is the best kind because they heal perfectly. Can't say I'm not surprised Miss Addie Ray was the first of our kids to break something!

No comments:

Post a Comment